All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broken lead!

5 posters

Go down

Broken lead! Empty Broken lead!

Post by LyndaW Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:34 pm

You may know I have to walk Kuchar on an extendable lead. Last night, he suddenly lurched excitedly forward and BANG! the lead snapped (it was a thin nylon cord one).

As usual, he ran away every time he saw me heave into sight - across busy rush-hour roads, through a maze-like housing estate, for what seemed like years.

Fortunately, a young man on a push-bike (the type of young man you would hesitate to meet in a dark alley) immediately cottoned on to what had happened and set off in pursuit. He stuck with Kuchar and eventually caught the little beggar. I am SO SO grateful to him!

Kuchar knew he had been a naughty boy because the minute I got him home he slunk off and hid under my bed all evening.

I have now bought a heavy-duty lead for a 50kg dog (tape, not cord). This dog, much as I love him, is making a happy woman feel very, very old. crying

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Broken lead! Empty Re: Broken lead!

Post by Caryll Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Oh, Lynda, what are you going to do with him? Little bugga!

What luck that the young man was good enough to help you - they're not all bad.

I have to admit I've never liked extendables, but now I'm starting to take Dempsey out again I'm using one - mainly because I'm really slow & it gives him the illusion of a bit of freedom. Ours is one like you've just bought; a tape one with a high breaking strain. The cord ones just aren't strong enough for a bull breed.

Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm

That's why I use an extendable - the illusion of a bit of freedom, because Kuchar just cannot be trusted off lead.

I hope I see that young man again soon - I'd like to buy him some ciggies or beer to reward him.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Makes a nice change to com across somebody who actually wants to help!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:03 pm

Glad you had a saviour on hand to help you, it's a scary thing. One of the dogs I was walking at the Blue Cross the other day slipped out of his harness - it took seconds. He ran across to another dog being walked, so luckily I was able to catch up with him, but my heart was in my mouth!
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:10 am

Owhhhh! Kuchar!

Lydda, I never use those extendable leads. I just dont trust them! I use a 10 ft nylon training lead like you have to work a horse. And im known to loop, tie it to a normal dog lead to let them run if they arent yet trained for a fast recall.

What a nice guy to jump in and get kuchar back. Never judge a book by its cover hun. Theres good people everywhere. Xxx

& tell kuchar hes a naughty boy! I do hope you see that guy again... just a... thank you so much....will go along way.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:43 am

I bet he doesn't even expect a 'thank you', but he'll probably be pleased all the same if you do see him again!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:48 pm

ooooh what a naughty boy!!!!!
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 am

I hope I do see this guy again soon, before he forgets what a saviour he was to me. Obviously I thanked him profusely at the time, but he really put out for me and I want to repay him - he was there for me when others weren't and I was desperately afraid, but thanks to him I didn't feel so alone.

And no, I never judge a book by its cover - I never have and I hope I never will. One of my best friends looks like Worzel Gummidge on a particularly bad day, but you'd go a long way to find a kinder person.

As for extendable leads, I know a lot of people don't like them. I wouldn't choose to use one myself (never did with my Dobermanns) but for Kuchar (and me, I'm no spring chicken!) it's the best option, and now I've got a heavy duty one!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:07 am

They take a bit of getting used to, but the heavy duty ones are better kn the long run for our too-strong-for-their-own-good bullies!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:19 pm

It's amazing how powerful a Staff is. I had much bigger dogs in my Dobies, but they never pulled me onto the ground like Kuchar does sometimes - of course I was younger and much fitter then! Maybe the lower centre of gravity, rapid acceleration and sheer brainlessness has something to do with it as well.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:00 am

Hehehe.... they are fun focused. Just a few days ago at the park... tyson saw 3 little girls of (as I found out later)  4, 7 & 9. Giggling at him and jess playing.  They wanted to play with them yet weary to come over, tyson saw them having fun, bolted over... not listening to me... little people, laughs, fun, running, he came back whrn I yelled at him.... I waived them over... its ok, they ran as tyson followed their giggles.... he wont hurt you but may jump or lick you!  They played with them. They had a staffy. ( surprise! Surprise!... heeee, not around here it wasnt!)  Anyway.., point isstaffies see fun and it comes in many forms.

Kuchar probably saw, heard, smelt something fun. A place to run and go crazy.,, staffy brain I call it.

While tysons recall is excellent.. he still has moments of staffy brain I watch for every sec hes off lead.

Last edited by tracyp on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:05 am

Oh and yes.... dobes v staffy.... not my proir rottie, nor jess ( a dobe with red staff coat for those that dont know) ever pulled as tyson will if he trully wants to get something. Its more about determination than strength and staffies will get to what they want if they can.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:17 am

At least staffords have a brain to go with it! Dempsey's strength is devoid of any brain to control it & since my operation his recall is apalling - I'm so annoyed about that. His 'leave' has gone to pot as well!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Not sure about Kuchar's brain! If there IS a brain cell there, which I often doubt, it is focussed on mischief.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:04 pm

All the best boys' brains are!
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:31 am

LyndaW wrote:Not sure about Kuchar's brain!  If there IS a brain cell there, which I often doubt, it is focussed on mischief.

I know where Dempsey's brain is - it's sitting in two little (?) sacks between his back legs. smug
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down