All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use?

+8
Eleanor
Lynne
shazzy-t
Shisa
ella
Caryll
LyndaW
Wendy
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use? Empty Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use?

Post by Wendy Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Personally, I'm quite traditional and use collar and leads. I tried a borrowed harness once and couldn't get away with it as it felt weird to me. I've sometimes wondered about halties but would worry that the boys hated them and I had wasted my money so I stick to what I know.

What do you use?
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use? Empty Re: Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use?

Post by LyndaW Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Collar and lead.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use? Empty Re: Collar and lead, harness, halti etc. What do you use?

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 am

Collar and lead. I use a half check as Dempsey pulls out of ordinary collars - even the 2" one I bought recently.

I just don't really get on with harnesses. I like to have control of the sharp pointy things at the head end! wink 
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:00 pm

harness, collar and double ended lead works for us plus it's extra safety when walking Chance
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:11 am

Collars and leads for walking.
I have harnesses but I only use them when the dogs swim or at the beach. I like to have an extra handle on them, just in case.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:20 am

Shisa wrote:Collars and leads for walking.
I have harnesses but I only use them when the dogs swim or at the beach. I like to have an extra handle on them, just in case.

Good idea. A friend of mines ABT almost drowned once. He had jumped into a river for a swim but had got his collar caught in a submerged fallen tree and when he didn't come back up for air she had to dive in and release him. Then she had to walk back 2 miles to her van soaking wet and freezing.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 am

Xan is not the best swimmer. Years ago I took them swimming and although the stream was quite shallow and placid looking there was a wicked under current. He couldn't get out as it kept pushing his legs and kept him away from me. It was a struggle to get through the sand to him and back again, plus the collar kept trying to slip over his head as I dragged him through the water. A 24kg dog feels like it weighs a ton if the water is dragging at him.
Next day I bought the whole lot harnesses.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzy-t Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Dogmatic head collar on Caesar but he always wears a collar - usually a STOG one - for show x
shazzy-t
shazzy-t

Names of Dogs : Gemma (12) and Caesar (5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 pm

shazzy-t wrote:Dogmatic head collar on Caesar but he always wears a collar - usually a STOG one - for show x

How do you rate the head collars? Do you make those as well? (two questions for the price of one  happy )
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:01 am

I use a dogmatic head collar on chance and we get on brilliantly with it, he walks almost perfectly with it on but he was introduced to it properly so he doesn't try and paw it off all the time
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynne Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:50 am

Collar and lead for me xx
Lynne
Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzy-t Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:42 pm

wink 
Wendy wrote:
shazzy-t wrote:Dogmatic head collar on Caesar but he always wears a collar - usually a STOG one - for show x

How do you rate the head collars? Do you make those as well? (two questions for the price of one  happy )

Wendy - I don't make them just yet as would require a lot of work to develop a strong, resilient one I think. I love the dogmatic and would recommend to anyone. I struggle with Caesar on anything else as he's 22kg of muscle!!! And where he wants to go, I go haha. The dogmatic makes it so I can walk him safely and without being dragged around x
shazzy-t
shazzy-t

Names of Dogs : Gemma (12) and Caesar (5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 pm

I've never tried a head collar on Dempsey. The problem with a BT is the shape of the head doesn't go too well with head collars - they tend to either slip off or ride up into the eyes.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:33 pm

Yeah, head collars aren't really suitable for Dempsey head shape. I'd also be concerned with him hurting his neck when he starts charging forwards.

I prefer to use a collar and harness, as it feels more comfortable and secure for me and takes the strain away from Dempsey's neck when he pulls.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:16 am

Eleanor wrote: I'd also be concerned with him hurting his neck when he starts charging forwards.

That's why I stopped using the head halti with Bella. She would walk ok but when she suddenly pulled towards a bird or something her neck jerked round.
I use a harness and collar for them both now.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:45 pm

I think haltis are great for some dogs, but there are some dogs who just don't get along with them. I don't like to see a dog getting whiplash every ten seconds on a walk.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Eleanor wrote:I think haltis are great for some dogs, but there are some dogs who just don't get along with them. I don't like to see a dog getting whiplash every ten seconds on a walk.

yeah, I think for a dog that pulls they are great but for one that can suddenly bolt you would have to be careful how you used it.
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:28 pm

Definitely. I also don't like how a lot of owners just assume that a collar/harness trained dog is automatically going to accept a halti on its walks. Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a German Shepherd walking along, desperately pawing at her face to get rid of her halti, while the owner yanked on the lead and scolded her.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:48 pm

a dog should be conditioned into accepting a head collar just as much as a muzzle, they should never just be plonked on and out for a walk you go!
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Exactly! It's something strange and new, yanking around at their heads.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Yep exactly!
ella
ella

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:26 pm

There is actually somebody on my facebook who advocates the use of prong collars. I would delete him but I am too nosey and want to see what outrageous comment he makes next. And he always does.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:27 pm

I can't stand prong collars. It doesn't really say much for a person if they can't handle their own dog without driving metal spikes into the dog's neck.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:12 pm

I used to have a friend who said I should use a shock or prong collar on Millie because she pulled  angry 
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Perhaps this person ought to be introduced to a shock collar, then! Maybe it'll cure whatever they've got! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next