All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got the scare of my life this morning

+2
Eleanor
Shisa
6 posters

Go down

Got the scare of my life this morning Empty Got the scare of my life this morning

Post by Shisa Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:04 am

I thought Bruno had eaten some rat poison.
Phoned my vet in a state, not there! Now I'm panicking should I make him vomit? Shouldn't I? It all depends on the poison and I'm not sure.
Luckily the assistant phones me back and says give him very strong salt water to immediately induce vomiting.
Poor Bruno did not like that.
I couldn't see anything in his sick ( sick sorry) so he probably didn't actually eat anything.
Then my vet phoned me back. It felt like an hour but all in all it wasn't even 10 minutes.
She said there shouldn't be any issues as I treated him quickly. Interestingly: she said if there is going to be a effect from the poisoning it'll be in 10-14 days. You usually only see immediate reactions if there's been a large dose.
Made me think, your dog shows weird symptoms but you know he hasn't eaten anything on the last few walks but then it's something he ate 2 weeks ago.
She also advised to never give milk.
I still gave him a charcoal pill, to be safe, and a piece of sausage to make the experience a bit better.

I'm also going to be doing more reading on poisoning in dogs. I'm not very clued up about it.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Got the scare of my life this morning Empty Re: Got the scare of my life this morning

Post by Shisa Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:07 am

Gave the girls in our shop kitchen a proper shitting out. They know not to put things like that on the floor!
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Got the scare of my life this morning Empty Re: Got the scare of my life this morning

Post by Eleanor Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:39 am

That must have been horrible! sad

That was a daft thing for them to do. I'll bet you were furious!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:41 am

Oh, Theresa, you must have been frantic! Poor Bruno, the little scamp. I bet you'll be watching him like a hawk over the next few days.

I must admit I didn't know that it would take that long for the symptoms to start!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:45 am

Shisa wrote:
I couldn't see anything in his sick ( sick sorry)

I still gave him a charcoal pill, to be safe, and a piece of sausage to make the experience a bit better.

I'm also going to be doing more reading on poisoning in dogs. I'm not very clued up about it.

OMG! Poor Bruno!
Do you use liquid, pellets or satchels as bait? Mums dog molly ate one & the vet used a pill in her eye to induce vomiting immediately.

How is he now?
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:16 am

Bruno is 4 months.
It was pellets.
I think we put it down 9/10 months ago because at that stage there was a girl working here that kept seeing a rat. She was the only one out of the 5 of us that saw/have ever seen a rat. I put 6 containers out all over our outside storage area for a few days and when none were disturbed, I picked them up to be properly bagged and disposed of.
One of my girls must have put one down again for some reason. It was in a strange place and not where I put the containers originally.

Poor boy is snoozing now. I think he's shocked that his mum can be so rough with him and force such foul things down his throat.

Caryll: I also didn't know. Kind of makes sense when you think about it; poison causes liver and kidney damage so it'll be a while for your dog to be sick enough to show symptoms of organ damage or failure.

Scary thought!

I've mentally filed away strong salt water to induce vomiting. It worked in about a minute, if that long.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:54 am

Shisa wrote:

Poor boy is snoozing now. I think he's shocked that his mum can be so rough with him and force such foul things down his throat.

I've mentally filed away strong salt water to induce vomiting. It worked in about a minute, if that long.

Mums dog ate a satchel (teabag like).
You must of been beside yourself! Its awful.

Though Bruno will never know or understand.... love/caring is what you showed him. love.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:36 am

Your poor mum.
That's a lot of poison.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Yeah, she was pretty sick. In the hosp for days.

How is Bruno doing today?
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Hope there are no lasting effects for Bruno. I had no idea poison would take that long to take effect!
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:04 pm

OMG what a scare, you must have been terrified. Thank heavens it all turned out well.

hug hug
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:57 am

He's perfectly fine in himself. Ran himself ragged yesterday chasing Pugsley and Missy. He's such a happy little dog.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:54 am

Great to hear .happy
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:12 am

Does the vet think he's totally in the clear, or has he advised you to watch him for a few days?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:01 am

I'm so glad he's okay!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:12 am

That is good to hear.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down