All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics)

+2
LyndaW
Eleanor
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) Empty Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics)

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:32 pm

They've been taking it in turns to shed, so I hadn't been able to take either one out for long enough to get a decent picture. Finally managed it yesterday! happy This is Twiglet:

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) Temporary_zps0d529042
Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) Temporary_zps48f0fe4d

I had her running up and down my arm, but couldn't get a picture because she was so quick! laughing

To give an idea of size, that ivy leaf was about seven centimetres. I couldn't get her to hold still for long enough for me to measure her. tongue

When I tried to get Sticky Bun out afterwards, I noticed she was laying on the bottom of the enclosure, rigid, legs pressed flat against her body. When I picked her up, she just rolled about in my hand. I was so upset, as I thought she was dead! Put her down on my bed and the crafty sticky got up and tried to scamper off!

I'd heard that they'll play dead, but they've never done it before! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) Empty Re: Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics)

Post by LyndaW Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Yes they have grown!

It's strange. I used to pick my stickies up no problem when they were this size, but couldn't do it now.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics) Empty Re: Stick insect update - getting huge and finally managed to get them out of the enclosure! Plus, major scare! (pics)

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Weird feeling, isn't it? laughing It made my hand feel strange!

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:09 pm

I was young, I was fearless. I am neither now!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:14 pm

laughing I'll probably be like that as well!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 pm

They're huge now  shocked That wasn't very nice of Sticky Bun, wee prankster!  laughing 

I don't think I could hold them, knowing that they move fast would be too much lol.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:19 pm

laughing The (almost) Great Escape!

They don't move especially fast, but it's fast enough. tongue I'll try to take a video at some point, to show you!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:26 pm

laughing 
That would be good to see, I've only seen them standing still and that was years ago.
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:28 pm

I was tempted to go and get them out just now, but that would be mean. tongue Not sure what their sleeping habits are, but I'm pretty sure they're resting right now!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Aww  laughing 
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Maybe tomorrow! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:32 am

Nawwh they are adorable!
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:46 am

laughing Thanks! I'm very proud of them!

Dad has never been able to see them in their enclosure, so yesterday was the first time. He was shocked at how big they were. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:15 am

Poor StickyBun - trying for her freedom and getting stuck back in jail. All the careful planning for nothing!  laughing laughing laughing 
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:49 am

laughing I daresay she'll try again next time!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:28 pm

I can just imagine them planning their freedom like in Finding Nemo.

I'm bored at work today so....  running dog 
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Oh my gosh, what if Twiglet got lost after venturing too far out of the enclosure? And then Sticky Bun searched the entire house, looking for her? And they had to fight off evil dust bunnies and a huge, dopey dog! And then made it back to the enclosure before I noticed!

Now that would be an adventure! Move over, Nemo! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:43 pm

You should sell the idea to Pixar!
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:54 pm

I would, but I'm just not sure I could trust them to do it justice. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Just a teensy question Eleanor - are you sure they're both females? I can't remember how to tell the difference, if indeed it is possible at all.

Watch out for eggs/babies!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Almost definitely females! Males are incredibly rare. If you do manage to find one, the special stick insect people (no idea what they're called) will often pay a lot of money to get him!

The females reproduce without males, so any month now I'll be swamped with eggs! laughing The local pet shops will love me!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Did a little Google-ing to refresh my memory. There are no males, as far as researchers are aware, in the wild. They've only been found in captivity!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Well I'm flabbergasted. for the second time today. Immaculate conception in stick insects - whatever next. You're never too old to learn that's for sure.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:59 pm

I had no idea, until I started researching stickies before I got them! Thought, "Ooh, I'll try to get some of the same sex, so I don't have to deal with the eggs!" No such luck. tongue

Another fun fact I remember from my obsession with Animal Planet - Komodo Dragons can also do it! I think it was something to do with population decline. If there are no males around for an extended period of time, the female can produce clone babies of herself! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:15 pm

This is so weird and goes against everything I ever believed in reproduction beyond plant life (and amoebas).
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next