All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IPO/SCHUTZHUND

+2
Eleanor
Serendipity
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

IPO/SCHUTZHUND - Page 2 Empty IPO/SCHUTZHUND

Post by Serendipity Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/

Serendipity

Back to top Go down

IPO/SCHUTZHUND - Page 2 Empty Re: IPO/SCHUTZHUND

Post by Eleanor Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:57 am

Pity they're not sheep, then I could eat my mistakes and not put them in pet homes.

Ouch! worried Glad they're not all like that!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:07 pm

They're probably at the extreme end of the scale but I'm not surrounding myself with such people. They're also the only people in a 400km radius to train with.
It'll also be impossible with Axel's size. I won't be able to hold him back. He already yanks me when he can't contain himself from fetching someone elses toy with retrieves and trust me I stand braced against his collar. He lets me keep him with him. He's 35kgs at 7 months and all lean muscle.

It doesn't really bother me, I enjoy Obedience most so will focus on training that.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:40 pm

To be honest, in your position I'd probably do the same!! They don't exactly sound 'sympathetic' trainers!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:52 pm

No positive reinforcement. Those dogs have to work for each kibble of their meal.
There's a girl (maybe 20) with a 18 month old bitch that did brilliantly in my opinion. She comes off the field and another lady says - nice, you did good. The bloke says - No. You don't tell people they did good when it wasn't.
I'm thinking well Fcuk you buddy, I hope the next dog thakes a chunk out of your arm.

I'm used to much better treatment from my trainer.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Shisa wrote:
I'm thinking well Fcuk you buddy, I hope the next dog thakes a chunk out of your arm.

I think my reaction would be just about the same! Where's the incentive? shocked 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Serendipity Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Shisa wrote:No positive reinforcement. Those dogs have to work for each kibble of their meal.
There's a girl (maybe 20) with a 18 month old bitch that did brilliantly in my opinion. She comes off the field and another lady says - nice, you did good. The bloke says - No. You don't tell people they did good when it wasn't.

I'm used to much better treatment from my trainer.

I would not be hoping any dog takes a chunk out of anyones arm!
Schutzhund or IPO is a sport, yes there is bad in everything (even Obedience)
I went to an Obedience club and they once suggested I pinned my dog to the floor because it growled shocked 
There are some very good people in this sport who look after their dogs extremely well.
My dog is very sociable and friendly and lives in the house, she is happy because she works. The protection work is a game! The sleeve her reward.

Serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:11 pm

That's it exactly - the whole thing is a game & the dogs should thoroughly enjoy it!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Serendipity Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Caryll wrote:That's it exactly - the whole thing is  a game & the dogs should thoroughly enjoy it!

There is no place for aggressive or nervous dogs in this sport.
Some think a dog has to show aggression or be aggressive because they are taught to bite! Dogs have to be suitable and if they are not they cannot do bite work.
This sport gets a bad reputation because of this and it saddens me so if you want to know more get yourself down to a decent affiliated club and see for yourself.
My dog needs to work, she was bred to work
She works on experienced helpers who know what they are doing, I trust them 100%
Dogs need to be able to work i drive and switch on but also need to live in the family home

Serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:55 pm

I would be very concerned if somebody attempted to teach an aggressive dog Schutzhund!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Unfortunately some people use it to show how hard they are & how dangerous their dog could be! And then they wonder why their dog suddenly goes out of control!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:46 pm

Linda I'm not trying to be demeaning to the sport or the dogs and am not generalising, these people are just wrong! I was shocked!!! I'm still shocked.

I will never train my dog like they do and will not be able to join their club. It's the only one anywhere near. I will not yell and scream at my dog and hoist it into the air by a prong collar. Their dogs work to not be punished.

I was really looking forward to trying this as it would be something completely new for me.
I am also 100% sure that they are the type that gives this sport a bad name. You do get them in every sport. You also get the snobs that laugh when you pitch at a competition with your overgrown Stafford and give you a friendly recommendation to go home and not waste everyones time.

The one guys wife was bragging about how their dog is to much dog for anyone to handle. They have to keep it kenneled because it's dangerous.

Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:52 pm

They also had these really thin nylon type rope slip lead things on the dogs that they would choke them on.... that's not me.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm not surprised you were shocked by it. Unfortunately, you're right - there will always be some people who give a sport a bad name. I'm just grateful we have people like Linda, who knows how to do it properly and whose dog enjoys it!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Serendipity Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:53 pm

There's good and bad in everything sad 
Im sorry you have had a bad experience too, I am very lucky to be part of a great club.
I personally have not seen any cruelty but I know it happens crying 

Serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Luckily, I think the good people outweigh the bad! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:18 pm

It's difficult to get past the nastiness, when that's your first hands on experience of it.

All I can say is that's not how it's done in the UK - at least not in the reputable clubs & training establishments. sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:17 am

What I find the absolute worst is that not one of them thinks they're doing the wrong thing or training the wrong way.
I am sure there are better trainers but unfortunately not anywhere is easy driving distance for me.

When we started training our first dog in obedience 19 years ago I think they used more progressive methods than these people.
I've trained all my own dogs and how many others using love and positive reinforcement. None of my dogs have to fear repercussion from doing the wrong thing. If they're doing it wrong it's my fault, I should be choked or shocked, not the dogs for not 'thinking' about what it's doing.

Anyway on to more positive things  happy 

Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 am

Agreed!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content