All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wee old lexi

4 posters

Go down

Wee old lexi Empty Wee old lexi

Post by Hayley Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:09 pm

A few weeks ago wee lexi started getting really loose poos every week or so but with solid ones in between, but got to the point she could not hold them in so was messing her crate at night. One morning she had vomited and pooed quite loose so off to vet. She got a few tests and the vet decided she had IBS. Some anti-sickness jabs, pro-biotics and anti-biotics and told to keep her on a bland diet for a while. Was all going fine, so we tried her gradually on some dog food again (wainwrights no grain) and immediately poos. Tried her on the chicken/rice again and she was fine, tried another dog food again a non-irritant hypoallergenic type and same issue.

So vet has said that provided she gets a few other things for nutrients she is to stay on chicken and rice. Costing a fortune, but shes got NO gas, loads of energy and no loose poo and is generally a happy pup. Shes only really got nubs left for teeth so i think the c/r is easier for her too! When she did vomit it was all solid bits of kibble so she just was not able to have it.

She got a new bed too

Wee old lexi 12993535_10207717073782309_6283709266705726482_n
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Wee old lexi Empty Re: Wee old lexi

Post by LyndaW Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:31 pm

What a miserable time for poor Lexi. How old is she now?

Chicken and rice is a wonderfully settling food for dogs, and if she eats it up with enjoyment without
unfortunate results, then it's worth sticking with, at least for a while.

Have you tried Wainwrights trays? They are moist and they do a turkey one, which might suit Lexi.

Meanwhile, cooking up fresh chicken with rice every day is a pain, and expensive I know (oh I've done it, Staffs do seem to have such delicate tummies at times) but worth it to keep Lexi happy and healthy.

Good luck, Hayley and Lexi.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:52 am

I use Nature Diet trays for Dempsey (lamb & rice or rabbit), and they're brilliant. No grains, no preservatives/colouring etc & they have natural bone added. They also do one for sensitive stomachs. Quite cheap as well, it costs us about £27 a month.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Poor girly! I have IBS too, so she has my sympathy! Hope she's feeling better xx
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down