All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snapping - no apparent reason - any ideas?

+2
Shisa
LyndaW
6 posters

Go down

Snapping - no apparent reason - any ideas? Empty Snapping - no apparent reason - any ideas?

Post by LyndaW Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Kuchar is a Staffie and will be 4 years old in December. He's excitable and boisterous, and loves every human without exception. He also loves every dog (second only to the human, who he'll always go to first) .... except three particular dogs.

The first is a red Staffie male (Jigger) we fortunately encounter rarely, and I can understand this because Jigger said something rude to Kuchar when he was a puppy and the owner said "male staffies don't like each other".

The other two I can't understand:-

An ancient cocker spaniel male who is deaf, and I can't believe he gave Kuchar any reason to dislike him, but if our paths have to cross in a restricted area so close proximity is unavoidable Kuchar literally gnashes his teeth at the spaniel - snap, snap, snap - although I don't think he'd actually bite.

An English bulldog bitch we only met today - they sniffed noses and Kuchar immediately gnashed his teeth at her, chasing the poor fat thing in circles before I caught him by the collar.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Snapping - no apparent reason - any ideas? Empty Re: Snapping - no apparent reason - any ideas?

Post by Shisa Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:41 am

I think it's because they don't behave correctly or as he expects a dog to behave.
An old deaf dog isn't going to show the same body language or properly read body language.
Xan had problems with a Bulldog years ago. We thought it's because they move strangely (with their broad chests, stubby legs and tails, squishy faces that don't communicate) and they snort and snuffle.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Snapping - no apparent reason - any ideas? Empty Re: Snapping - no apparent reason - any ideas?

Post by LyndaW Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks Theresa.

I think you may be correct about the spaniel - he's terribly old, covered in lumps and on his last legs poor thing. Maybe Kuchar is scared of something he doesn't understand.

The bulldog, though - I thought at first it was another (male) bulldog he has met before and played with (to the bulldog's limited ability), but after the first sniff Kuchar changed into devil dog! I don't think it was just that she wouldn't/couldn't play cos this doesn't usually bother him.

I hate to see him baring and gnashing his teeth, it's so unlike him.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:57 am

Some dogs just don't like some dogs. He could have been having a bad day, feeling a bit under the weather, tired. There's a million reasons.

I find that most dogs don't like Axel (males and females) and I'm always very careful when introducing him to other dogs. He's not rude or showing bad doggy manners. He's very polite but they will snap and snarl at him. He always looks so shocked.
I've tried figuring that out as well.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:33 pm

I think Theresa is right - we all have our off days, and we don't like everyone we come across; unfortunately our dogs don't have much control over who they meet, so they show their displeasure in the only way they can.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Thank you Theresa and Lorraine, you have been very comforting.

These last two poor dogs were so inoffensive it was embarrassing to have a normally friendly dog reinforcing a stereotype. Those of you who have dogs with have a bad breed reputation will understand what I mean.

Poor Axel - maybe it's a fear reaction from other dogs because he is so big and imposing?

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:29 am

I do understand, Lynda - bull breeds do have a poor reputation!

I certainly think that the spaniel is down to its deafness. He'll give off different body language and just plain ordinary 'vibes'! The bulldog could just be a 'dislike', although if its breathing is poor that may have unsettled Kuchar.

I wouldn't stress yourself over it, just try to avoid those particular dogs, at least for a while.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:38 pm

LyndaW wrote:Poor Axel - maybe it's a fear reaction from other dogs because he is so big and imposing?

It might be. I always feel so bad for him.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:23 pm

Yes Caryll, I am avoiding them and trying not to stress!

Theresa, I know how you feel. Every single Jack Russell on the planet HATES Kuchar and invariably has a go at him, and I feel so sorry for Kuchar and his waggy tail and play-bows!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:51 pm

I don't think bulls know how to dog lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:26 am

Hayley wrote:I don't think bulls know how to dog lol

laughing laughing
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:23 am

I think Theresa hit the nail on the head.

Bulldogs often have quite wrinkled faces. Couple this with a very small, often tightly-curled, tail and you have what another dog might perceive as threatening behaviour.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down