All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any shooters amongst you?

+3
Shisa
Lorraine
LyndaW
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any shooters amongst you? Empty Any shooters amongst you?

Post by tracyp Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Today I did what I have always said I would never do!

I have always been anti gun. But I thought....Why should I be so anti anything, with no real personal experience to base it on bar our friends or farmers so..... Lets just see. My neighbour took me to learn how to shoot at the local gun range.   popcorn (Hes a range manager down there.)

Wow! Is the most descriptive word I have right now.

I learnt to shoot a 22 ruger, a 350 magnum & a rifle with a scope. After shot #1 asked my heart to leave my body, I loved it!

The ruger is too little & very light, the rifle is too big & heavy, but the magnum is...... just right! I got the bullseye at 25 mtrs 3 times on my 1st day shooting! Seems I am suited to shooting targets. I even got the bunny pic perfectish. All shots to the body. Not one outside the pic.

They were having a "western" themed shoot today. Brilliant costumes, western side guns, shot gun bullets strapped to them, spurs, cowboy hats, ladies in frocks with side arms. Damn those girls are good! They raced with the men with big & heavy guns in one comp. I wouldn't have been able to lift it let alone shot & hit a target!

I had a brilliant day, met some great people & saw some shooting that would put Annie Oakley to shame.
Any shooters amongst you? 20150426_110326

Any shooters amongst you? WP_20150426_036
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Any shooters amongst you? Empty Re: Any shooters amongst you?

Post by Caryll Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:14 pm

Glad you enjoyed it!

Not my thing, though. I don't like guns.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:36 pm

The only guns I have shot are those ones at the fairground which are fixed not to shoot straight, and a friend's air-rifle which I aimed at a rock in a stream and hit - pting! All this when I was a teenager when you do that sort of thing. But shooting guns has never appealed to me so have not done it since.
I certainly wouldn't shoot at anything live, although as a child I acted as retriever on a rook shoot.

I too am glad that you enjoyed it!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:55 am

I have never had a good thing to say about guns in my life till now. Nor has my family, though even my mum who is NOT a gun fan says.... if its a club & done properly there's no reason not to shoot as a sport.

The idea of shooting anything that breathes upsets me & while like my bro in law, it is a fact of life in the bush it is not something I could ever do. But I have no problem shooting a piece of paper, wood or a steel target.

But.... I thought I shouldn't judge anything without experience or knowledge. So, I went to find out for myself much to my mums surprise.

It's really not the responsible owners with registed guns (farmers, sportsmen etc) that have them for sport (which I found is VERY STRICTLY managed. i.e 2 people must check the guns are empty, clear, pointing down the range, bullets to the side of the gun, everyone must be back behind the safety line before another person steps into the range.) There are so many rules on a range. When & where you can go. Who has to be there. Etc.etc.

It's Tom, Dick & Harry that are not licenced & have unregistered guns that are the problem.

I HAVE changed my opinion. Guns are not the problem. It's WHO is holding it that's the issue!
However, I still would not have a gun in the house personally but I do think I'll go back to shoot again.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:03 am

I have nothing against gun clubs as long as the guns are NEVER allowed out of the secure club premises.

Shooting for food is okay as long as it's a clean kill but shooting any living thing for sport is (in my opinion) barbaric.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:34 am

I agree caryll. I dont agree with shooting anything live for near any reason bar to eat or end suffering. I personally could not even shoot anythibg for humane reasons.  I will only ever shoot a paper target. Its an accuracy sport, not a lifestyle for me.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 am

Caryll wrote:I have nothing against gun clubs as long as the guns are NEVER allowed out of the secure club premises.

Shooting for food is okay as long as it's a clean kill but shooting any living thing for sport is (in my opinion) barbaric.

You know we do have guns in houses here often. Like the US but not..... its very controlled here. You have to have a gun safe bolted to the floor. The ammo seperate. Licence, police checks, shooters lic. They come in to check your safe. Its the unlicenced guns & shooters that are the prob.

Think about it.... if your licensed they can find you & your guns.... if you aren't your off the radar for a reason.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:58 am

tracyp wrote:
Caryll wrote:I have nothing against gun clubs as long as the guns are NEVER allowed out of the secure club premises.

You know we do have guns in houses here often. Like the US but not..... its very controlled here. You have to have a gun safe bolted to the floor. The ammo seperate.  Licence, police checks, shooters lic. They come in to check your safe. Its the unlicenced guns & shooters that are the prob.

Think about it.... if your licensed they can  find you & your guns.... if you aren't your off the radar for a reason.

That's all well and good, but over here, the killer of the Dunblane children was a licenced gun holder. sad
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:33 am

Caryll wrote:
tracyp wrote:

You know we do have guns in houses here often. Like the US but not..... its very controlled here. You have to have a gun safe bolted to the floor. The ammo seperate.  Licence, police checks, shooters lic. They come in to check your safe. Its the unlicenced guns & shooters that are the prob.

Think about it.... if your licensed they can  find you & your guns.... if you aren't your off the radar for a reason.

That's all well and good, but over here, the killer of the Dunblane children was a licenced gun holder. sad

As was the perpetrator of Hungerford massacre. I think I'm right in saying that there were some concerns raised about both of them with the authorities, and this was ignored or overlooked. However, the laws were changed after both incidents - hand guns are no longer permissible outside a club, I think. You can still do a lot of damage with a rifle if you want to.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:04 am

Yes, including shotguns! Many very unstable farmers legally own shotguns and use them!

The laws did change, but are still not strict enough. If you are a member of a gun club you can still keep your firearms at home. shocked
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:40 pm

My point is, guns don't kill people. People do! A gun on the bench is nothing more than steel or wood till a person picks it up, loads it & points it at another living being.

Our laws are very strict. But there are of course some gun owners here too that shouldn't have them. You cant just walk into a gun club here and shoot. I had to produce numerous items of id they could trace. My drivers lic, birth cert, house title. I felt as if I was entering a jail.

Licenced gun holders, can keep guns at home here but only in safes, bolted to the floor & ammunition must be seperate.

I'm sad you guys are so against guns, though I do understand... But going to the club has definitely opened my eyes. For there are so many more responsible owners than not. Here, anyway. Which I knew before I spoke to everyone.

If you remember? My bro in law (farmer) shot their dogs after they were bitten by a brown & they couldnt be saved. Should he have left them to suffer till the morn or stop it then? (not that they would have made it) I personally couldn't of done it but I am glad he could & did. But I also couldn't (or wouldnt want to) watch the dogs suffer for 12 +hrs.

Maybe as you dont have the amount of venomous snakes we do its different there. I know you have adders but we have many venomous snakes & spiders.

Look at it this way....
A car IS a lethal weapon, if driven into a crowd of people by a person with a mindset to do so, or in an accident with another car.....
A dog IS a killer in the wrong hands, trained the wrong way or just not trained to be social.....
A kitchen knife IS purposely made to cut & many have been murdered by a knife...
What about an axe, hammer or saw?

Do we ban or exclude them from society? Do we stop driving or chopping wood for the fire? I think not. Dont you have a car, knife, dog, or axe? It is not the item, its the person wielding it.
Guns do have their place, in the right hands, just as any of the above. Are you a responsible driver? Would you allow your dog to kill? Are you about to stab someone to death?

While I have always been anti gun till now, I now see how people can enjoy the sport without being mass murdering psychopaths. It is a sport just as javelin,  or archery is. Both of which are also lethal with the wrong persons hands controlling them.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:00 am

I love target shooting!!
I'm currently waiting for my firearm license. Takes a while to get.
We also have very strict laws and the police come and inspect your safe to make sure it's up to the laws.
Doesn't stop the murderers and gun killings the tiniest little bit. The problem with gun laws is they only limit law abiding citizens and does not stop the criminal element. If you want to shoot someone having a license or not and having a gun or not won't stop you. It's easier, cheaper and far less effort to get an illegal firearm.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:55 am

Sorry, Tracy, but I am still anti-guns.

I agree that farmers should be allowed to have a shotgun, under strict conditions, but no other ordinary citizen should have any need whatsoever to have a gun in their home.

Guns can be locked away, but mental illness can't, and you can't always spot a psychopath just by checking his/her identity.

If you had sat watchingvthe breaking news when the Dunblane children were brutally murdered (with your own two similar aged children sitting by your side) you may not feel so happy about firearms at home.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:15 am

Shisa wrote:
We also have very strict laws and the police come and inspect your safe to make sure it's up to the laws.
Doesn't stop the murderers and gun killings the tiniest little bit. The problem with gun laws is they only limit law abiding citizens and does not stop the criminal element. If you want to shoot someone having a license or not and having a gun or not won't stop you. It's easier, cheaper and far less effort to get an illegal firearm.

Exactly my point.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:18 am

tracyp wrote:
Shisa wrote:

Exactly my point.

And exactly my point - nobody should have a firearm in their own home. There is absolutely no reason to.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:20 am

Yeah, numb, numbs with illegal firearms are the problem. Not licenced, responsible sport shooters or farmers.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:29 am

I shoot sometimes. Have a 22 bore shot gun and a slug gun. Its fun but can be sore if you get it right in the shoulder lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:36 am

Don't misunderstand me. I do not like guns in homes generally, (for 95% of us, there is no need to have them) however..... if you shoot for sport or on a farm for protection/culling, I don't have an issue.

Living with animals that will either kill you or distroy your crops leaving your family to starve, I have always understood the need for guns, just never wanted to shoot one.

& I will say this knowing it will p1ss everyone off.....

If you break into my house, you will get whats coming to you.... & I don't have a gun but I do have dogs, knives & bayonets.  I do agree with the US on one point. I will defend my property & all in it if you come meaning harm.

Again, whilst I am anti gun for most & fools, I get it! It's a great sport!
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:00 am

Hayley wrote:I shoot sometimes. Have a 22 bore shot gun and a slug gun. Its fun but can be sore if you get it right in the shoulder lol

Yes, I found the rifle had a kick. Even with only a 1/4 bullet. A shot gun would be an even stronger kick I imagine. Thats my next shoot if I can.

Oh the bore is a nice looking gun. Is yours wood or steel?
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:13 pm

I have no problem with defending the home - we have many items in the house that could do a lot of damage to an intruder, but never a gun.

If you shoot for sport then why can't the gun be kept at a gun club & taken out when needed. I don't support shooting animals, but that's just my preference; if you shoot animals then keep the gun in a gun club & check it out & in again.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Because it's your property. I would not want to be leaving something as deadly as a gun in someone else's hand (never mind the fact they cost a lot of money too and the potential for getting stole and sold to the underground market then used and you are implicated is huge)
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:15 pm

It's wood. Looks real country folk. Me and dad do clay pigeons and targets with the slug.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:40 am

Hayley wrote:Because it's your property. I would not want to be leaving something as deadly as a gun in someone else's hand (never mind the fact they cost a lot of money too and the potential for getting stole and sold to the underground market then used and you are implicated is huge)

But the gun clubs spend a lot of money making sure that the premises are super-safe - far safer than your property could ever be.

If it was stolen from a gun club & used illegally it would not come back on you - so you would not be implicated unless you were involved in the crime!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Yes they do Caryll. That is very true. But if I was to own a gun I would also have a safe at home. I would not leave it in anothers care. I also undersrand from a farmers point of view, if foxes are killing, maimed animals or roos are distroyong crops... a gun needs to be accessible right then. If 50 roos are distroying your livelyhood, tomorrow morning they will have lost thousands.

I do not condone killing living animals in the name of sport but I have always understood why farmers do.

I'll give an eg to think about.... yrs ago,... big who wah about roos being culled.... animal activists up in arms...farmers were culling roos left , right , & centre.

They are on our coat of arms! This cannot be allowed to happen!

I will never forget one farmers words.....

If you have never lived in the bush, never had your cattle or sheeps water stolen, never seen what 20 roos can do to a field of wheat in one night, not seen the dying faces of stock in the morn, after roos have gutted them......

He said to the animal libs.... "you all take 2 home & get back to me next week."

While I personally could never shoot a roo, or anything living, I get & have seen what damage happens when they come in mobs. Same for emus, Dingos & foxes.

tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Hayley wrote:It's wood. Looks real country folk. Me and dad do clay pigeons and targets with the slug.

Now that would be quite something to try.Id have no hope at this point & I don't know if they do that at my local range as its quite close to our racetrack.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum