All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going to learn to drive!

+5
Caryll
Dave
Hayley
ella
LyndaW
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Going to learn to drive! Empty Going to learn to drive!

Post by Eleanor Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:08 pm

The thought of it terrifies me, as I don't do very well under stressful situations! laughing Seems like so much to learn!

But there's no chance that I'll be able to get anywhere in the animal industry if I can't drive. So, sooner is better than later! happy

Any tips? worried
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Going to learn to drive! Empty Re: Going to learn to drive!

Post by LyndaW Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Well done Eleanor!

If you are nervous, see if you can find a driving school that will let you get the feel of driving a car off-road at first until you feel more comfortable with steering, starting and stopping. Clutch control (including changing gears) is the trickiest thing to get the hang of so don't panic if you find it difficult at first!

Take it easy and enjoy!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Thankoo! hug My friend from uni has recommended her old driving instructor, as he's apparently really nice!

I'm not too worried about the actual driving. It's more of a situation worry for me! I'm worried that I'll be put into driving situations where I won't know what to do, or I'll mess up! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:49 pm

It's good if you are not too worried about your ability to handle the beast.

You will obviously be on quiet roads to start with, and a dual-control car is a must. A driving instructor who is patient, kind, and explains everything shouldn't put you into situations that you cannot cope with.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Yeah, apparently the one my friend recommended is very good and gives you the options to either go out on a busy road for the first lesson or retreat to a quiet back road/empty car park. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:48 pm

I love driving!

Only tip I can think of if your nervous is take it slowly and at your pace if you don't feel ready for a test DONT do it!
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:53 pm

imho a busy road for a first lesson is not a good idea.

You will be able to handle busy roads as you become more adept in handling the car and can therefore concentrate on traffic conditions better.

Therefore, my advice would be to take it slowly in the early stages and build up your skills and confidence before you tackle more competitive situations, such as a commuter route in the rush hour or a fast trunk road.

hug
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks for the advice! hug hug hug I'm very nervous, but I'm also a bit excited. tongue

Most driving instructors around here take students out onto the roads on their first lesson. Although it wouldn't be a motorway or dual carriageway. 'Busy' for me is more than one car on the road! laughing

I think I'll err on the side of caution, even when/if I do pass my test. tongue To get to university, the last stretch is up a winding country road, with one particular tight bend which is a magnet for accidents. So I'll probably park in the nearby village and walk the ten minutes up to campus, until I'm more confident. laughing

I'll make sure I do it at my own snail pace! happy Thanks!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:02 pm

BREATHE. And never ever feel you need to go faster cause you are in peoples way. Take your time at it all and youll be fine happy
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks! That's actually something that's been worrying me - other people on the road. I'm worried I'll get a line of cars behind me, honking! laughing

Was going to apply for my provisional earlier today, but forgot about the address issue. Moving house next week, so will have to wait a little longer so that I can use the new address!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:29 pm

All car drivers were learners once, and I think most remember that so you shouldn't get honked at! You might get the occasional impatient over-taker but that's their problem and not yours.

I'm not the speed merchant that I was in my early years - I don't hang about now but I will not be pushed to drive faster than I am comfortable with by tail-gaters. So if I get uncomfortable about a queue of traffic behind me on minor roads where overtaking is not an option, sometimes if I see a lay-by or similar convenient pull-off place coming up, signal left and turn into it and let the queue pass me by, then continue on my way.

Also, P (for Provisional) plates are available these days for people who have passed their test recently and are still a bit nervous - I think these are a great help for all road users.

I live in the South-East where traffic, except on the quietest housing estates or the remoter country roads, is always heavy. It sounds like you live in a much quieter part of the country (lucky you) so maybe my cautions about learning (at least in the early stages) on "busy" roads is misplaced - apologies!

Don't worry, you'll be fine!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:41 am

Everyone stresses when they learn.
South Africa being so large and public transport not safe and even worse for white people, we're a nation of drivers and car owners. I started on my dads lap when 5 years old, holding onto the steering wheel.
I love driving.

Going to a good driving school is the best.
My tip: clutch control.
As soon as you can go for an advanced driving course.
I've done 2 advanced courses and about 3/4 4x4 courses. It's fun and teaches you how to handle dangerous situations. Could save your life.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:16 am

LyndaW wrote:All car drivers were learners once, and I think most remember that so you shouldn't get honked at!  You might get the occasional impatient over-taker but that's their problem and not yours.  

I'm not the speed merchant that I was in my early years - I don't hang about now but I will not be pushed to drive faster than I am comfortable with by tail-gaters.  So if I get uncomfortable about a queue of traffic behind me on minor roads where overtaking is not an option, sometimes if I see a lay-by or similar convenient pull-off place coming up, signal left and turn into it and let the queue pass me by, then continue on my way.  

Also, P (for Provisional) plates are available these days for people who have passed their test recently and are still a bit nervous - I think these are a great help for all road users.

I live in the South-East where traffic, except on the quietest housing estates or the remoter country roads, is always heavy.  It sounds like you live in a much quieter part of the country (lucky you) so maybe my cautions about learning (at least in the early stages) on "busy" roads is misplaced - apologies!

Don't worry, you'll be fine!  

Hopefully my instructor will tell me how to deal with the road rage people. tongue The Provisional plates sound like a good idea!

I think we live in a relatively quiet area at the moment, although there are busy roads nearby. The place we're moving to is going to be much busier, though. sad Although I've been told that instructors aren't so mean as to take first time students out on the dual carriageway! tongue

Shisa wrote:Everyone stresses when they learn.
South Africa being so large and public transport not safe and even worse for white people, we're a nation of drivers and car owners. I started on my dads lap when 5 years old, holding onto the steering wheel.
I love driving.

Going to a good driving school is the best.
My tip: clutch control.
As soon as you can go for an advanced driving course.
I've done 2 advanced courses and about 3/4 4x4 courses. It's fun and teaches you how to handle dangerous situations. Could save your life.

I'll try to look into one, but I don't think I'll be able to get my hopes up, as I'm already very unsure of whether or not I'll actually be able to afford to buy a car, along with tax and insurance, if/when I pass my test. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:00 am

Just a thought. I tell everyone to do it if possible.
Main thing is to just relax. Don't try and drive like a pro and don't feel stupid. I almost tossed my dad and myself through the windshield once when I let the clutch slip while the car was in gear.
Listen to the engine when you pull out or change gears. You'll hear if you need to give more or less petrol as the car starts over-revving or stutters. Concentrate more on that than your feet.
With the advanced course I did we used their vehicles - first time was with BMW and second was with Audi.
What was nice is they teach you how to handle your car when it aquaplanes, how to control gravel skids, you do handbrake turns etc .. all the scary stuff with a competent drive instructor. It's great fun and you relax so much because you learn to handle a vehicle in most situations.
With the off road courses you have to use your own vehicle and they taught us what that vehicle can do. First one my mum and I went. We had the biggest vehicle and were the only females. The men all ripped on us and our screaming and giggling but we did it all because: Screw them. We can!
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks hug It isn't something I'd considered before, but it does sound like a very good idea!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Plan's completely f*cked anyway, as I won't be able to afford to even buy a car, let alone the tax, insurance, etc.. Which means I'm also completely f*cked when it comes to the work experience I need to complete as part of my course, as there's only one local place that has accepted work experience students in the past and it's unlikely that I'll be able to get a chance at it. I've emailed my course manager for suggestions, but her only suggestion last week was "get a car."
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:57 pm

Oh Eleanor! sad

I know motoring is desperately expensive - I don't know how much it costs per lesson these days? When I learned to drive aged 17 it cost 30s (£1.50) per lesson, one a week. To put it in perspective, £1.50 was a quarter of my weekly take-home pay!

Insurance is expensive when you begin motoring, but should go down each year as you a) get to 25 years old and b) earn no-claims bonus. Restrict the car insurance to only yourself, select the largest amount you can as "excess" (maximum the value of the car), and have 3rd Party, Fire and Theft as your cover. And shop around! Via comparison websites. That should keep insurance as cheap as possible as you build up your no-claims bonus and can gradually afford a more expensive (ie newer!)car.

When buying your first car, get a small engined one! And with a full year's MOT. Take someone knowledgeable with you when looking at cars so that they will hopefully spot anything that is likely to cost you money to repair within a year. If, and you must bear this in mind, you crunch the car through your own fault or the following MOT throws up repairs that cost more than the value of the car, you sell the remains for scrap and start again with another cheapy car.

If all this is still too much until you are earning properly, consider getting a moped (if such things are still available) in the meantime.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:00 pm

tbh, I just don't think I understand anything anout cars! I don't have a job at the moment and I just don't think I will be able to afford to pay for all the extras that come with getting a car, even with my student loan and grant sad

the moped is a good idea though, thanks @hug:
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Have you looked into leasing a car or is that too expensive ?? 1 payment pays for all except fuel , a couple of our apprentices at work did it , of course you never own the car but they are something that only loses money anyway
Dave
Dave

Names of Dogs : Tilly and Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Good alternative idea Dave, and worth looking into.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:02 am

The moped might be something to think about.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:03 am

Dave wrote:Have you looked into leasing a car or is that too expensive ??  1 payment pays for all except fuel , a couple of our apprentices at work did it , of course you never own the car but they are something that only loses money anyway

I think to lease you need to have a full time job?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:08 am

Get your license and go from there. You don't know what happens in the future and if you can at least drive legally it keeps options open. At my first job they also specified someone with a car that I didn't have but I could drive so used one of their vehicles as needed.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:02 pm

It is soo expensive with the lessons, test then actually getting a car. If you can manage the lessons just now it would be a good idea. I wish I had done that so I would at least have the licence there if I could get a car.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm still going to go ahead with the lessons and see where I go from there.

My university schedule is far too hectic to allow me to get a job right now, but I've looked ahead at the course this year and exam leave starts in June. I'm hoping to be able to get a part time job, roughly three days per week, to earn some money in time for the course work experience.

I've not looked into a lease, but it's something I can read up about if/when I pass my test.

And yeah, just being able to drive will be better than nothing, as it's a necessary skill in the animal industry.

Thanks, all! hug
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next