All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beagle Testing Facility in Yorkshire!

5 posters

Go down

Beagle Testing Facility in Yorkshire! Empty Beagle Testing Facility in Yorkshire!

Post by Caryll Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Article from Dog World Newspaper 25/7/14

" A 99,000-signature petition has been delivered to the Government in London protesting against plans for a Beagle breeding facility in Yorkshire.

Members of the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection (BUAV) were joined by supporters and Beagle Oliver, who was homed by the Association during an investigation of a laboratory in 2013.

Together they handed in the petition to Eric Pickles, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, in a demonstration of the high level of public concern and opposition to the facility.

A campaign began when B&K submitted an appeal against refusal of planning permission for the facility, which would provide Beagles for the research industry.

The campaign is being backed by a number of MPs, including Kerry McCarthy, Henry Smith, Adrian Sanders and Sir Roger Gale, and high-profile figures including Ricky Gervais, Chris Packham, Jilly Cooper and Carley Stenson.

The BUAV has already campaigned against two previous applications in recent years and each time the application has been rejected – most notably by Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government Eric Pickles in 2012.

"Although applications and appeals of this kind are usually decided upon at local Government level, Mr Pickles has ‘recovered’ the application for the second time and will be considering the revised version in coming weeks,” said BUAV chief executive Michelle Thew.

"There is widespread public concern about this planning appeal. People simply do not want a facility within their community.

"There is a strong ethical and scientific case to end these outdated experiments and strong planning reasons to reject the appeal.

"We therefore call on Eric Pickles to adhere to what the public wants and what is best for animal welfare and immediately reject the appeal.” "
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Beagle Testing Facility in Yorkshire! Empty Re: Beagle Testing Facility in Yorkshire!

Post by LyndaW Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:18 pm

Let's hope this petition succeeds. In my naivety, I thought that laboratory testing on beagles had ceased some time ago - it seems I was wrong.

Why beagles, for heavens sake - what is so special about them that suits them to laboratory experiments? Not that I want any dogs at all involved, but why beagles particularly?

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Beagle Testing Facility in Yorkshire! Empty Re: Beagle Testing Facility in Yorkshire!

Post by Caryll Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm not sure, but i think it's to do with their temperament and size.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 am

Poor little beggars.  crying 

Why dogs anyway? I don't understand it at all.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:06 am

Horrible sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:45 am

Why use dogs. They've never done anything but love us.
We have overflowing prisons full of murders, rapists, child molesters... use them. They've given up their humanity.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Shisa wrote:Why use dogs. They've never done anything but love us.
We have overflowing prisons full of murders, rapists, child molesters... use them. They've given up their humanity.

I absolutely agree!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:43 pm

I agree too. though it will never happen - human rights and all that. But they would be making a contribution towards humanity (which they surely owe).

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 am

I feel that if you decide to deliberately take a life, violently violate another humans body you give up your right to be a human. You choose to be something else.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:08 am

LyndaW wrote:I agree too.  though it will never happen - human rights and all that.  But they would be making a contribution towards humanity (which they surely owe).
Shisa wrote:I feel that if you decide to deliberately take a life, violently violate another humans body you give up your right to be a human. You choose to be something else.

Unfortunately, at least in the UK, criminals often seem to have more 'rights' that victims.

I would be fully behind a programme that uses violent criminals to test products rather than animals. After all, if the product is going to be used for humans, who better to test it than other humans?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 am

It's the same here.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:36 am

Seems to be the same in most countries. sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Caryll wrote:
LyndaW wrote:I agree too.  though it will never happen - human rights and all that.  But they would be making a contribution towards humanity (which they surely owe).
Shisa wrote:I feel that if you decide to deliberately take a life, violently violate another humans body you give up your right to be a human. You choose to be something else.

Unfortunately, at least in the UK, criminals often seem to have more 'rights' that victims.

I would be fully behind a programme that uses violent criminals to test products rather than animals. After all, if the product is going to be used for humans, who better to test it than other humans?

Completely agree. I had no idea they tested on beagles sad
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:02 pm

They test on anything and everything.

Worst thing is: How many of your favourite products or the products you use are tested on animals?

Beagle Testing Facility in Yorkshire! 10377005_938853239474163_2160255798956566998_n
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Until a year ago, I had no idea so many companies tested on animals. Then I researched it, threw away a few products and refused to buy them again.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:20 pm

That's a horrific list.

Once a particular chemical or substance has been proved to be safe by previous animal testing, why go on and on doing it? All those toothpaste companies for example - certain knowledge should be pooled to prevent unnecessary repeat testing.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 pm

I absolutely, point-blank, refuse to knowingly buy or use any cosmetic products tested on animals.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down