All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We have a honey bee hive in our garden!

+4
tracyp
Caryll
Lorraine
Eleanor
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

We have a honey bee hive in our garden! Empty We have a honey bee hive in our garden!

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:34 am

There's an insect nest hanging up. A few weeks ago, shredded leaves mysteriously started appearing in the holes as plugs. Then, about a week later, I was putting a rubbish bag out in the garden and I saw a honey bee fly into one of the holes with a big piece of leaf! happy And I would like to point out that I feel very special and smug, as I was the first one to notice! Mwuhahaha!  evil 

It's a very small hive. Like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510u%2B7vrrOL._SX300_.jpg

Only with shredded leaves plugging most of the holes! tongue

I won't be as happy if the swarm gets too much bigger, but I think (hope) that's very unlikely. Bit sad, really, as they probably won't survive long without proper beekeeping - which I'm definitely not going to do! I wouldn't have a clue! Probably for the best, though, as we'd otherwise have to call in a beekeeper to move the hive. I think it's just a temporary swarm anyway, while they look for a proper home.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

We have a honey bee hive in our garden! Empty Re: We have a honey bee hive in our garden!

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:42 am

Scratch that. Just did some research. They're not honey bees; it's a leaf-cutter bee. Clue's in the name, really!  sigh Woops!

Also explains why a nearby plant has dozens of holes cut out of the leaves! laughing I was looking for caterpillars!

They're harmless, apparently, although I still don't want to be stung by one. tongue

Here it is!

We have a honey bee hive in our garden! 268dc934-e486-4419-87d0-f5365830addc_zpseee997ac

Last edited by Eleanor on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

We have a honey bee hive in our garden! Empty Re: We have a honey bee hive in our garden!

Post by Lorraine Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:44 am

I think they'll be leaf-cutter bees - if you've got roses in the garden take a look at the leaves, you may find little semi-circular cut-outs on the edges.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=leaf-cutter%20bee
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:49 am

Beat you to it. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:52 am

I know!  raised eyebrow 
Lorraine
Lorraine

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:54 am

laughing

I don't know if I've heard of leaf cutter bees before. I daresay I've probably heard of them somewhere, but I can't remember. Google is telling me a lot though! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:56 am

I hadn't heard of them before last year, when they took up residence in our insect nest box.  happy 
Lorraine
Lorraine

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:57 am

Did they wreak havoc on your plants? tongue Mum's got two roses near the insect box. So far untouched, unlike the large plant right next to the box, but for how long..? laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:11 am

Has anybody here been stung by a bee or wasp, by the way? Not worried I'm going to get stung or anything, as I don't plan on disturbing the nest, but I've never been stung before. I've heard some people say it hurts a lot, but others have said it hardly hurts at all. confused
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 am

Eleanor wrote:Did they wreak havoc on your plants? tongue Mum's got two roses near the insect box. So far untouched, unlike the large plant right next to the box, but for how long..? laughing

Tristan wreaked havoc on our garden - a few small bees are nothing!! shocked In answer to your other question - never been stung.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:23 am

laughing Bless him! He was helping with gardening, was he?

Oh, so I'm not the only one! happy Was beginning to think bees and wasps just didn't like me enough to bother!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:37 am

I've been stung by a wasp but not by a bee.

Painful, but funnily enough not such a problem as midge bites!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:06 pm

The midges seem to love you! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Ive been stung & I'm allergic to them. Not a great experience.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:49 pm

I've never heard of leaf cutter bees. I learned something new today happy
I've never been stung either and after seeing how Millie was last year when a b@#$*&! Wasp clung on to her paw stinging her I don't want to be  covering eyes 
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:19 pm

I've been stung a few times. It hurts but not to cry over. You just need to take the stinger out properly and not inject more venom into yourself.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:28 pm

It must be scary if you're allergic to them!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Must be frightening if you're allergic!

I used to have a sort-of phobia of wasps. I think it was from childhood; when wasps buzzed around my head if I had a sugary snack like ice cream, I'd be able to hear them and feel the vibrations, but wouldn't be able to see them or get away from them. I think that's what scared me originally. I've never actually been scared of getting stung.

Got over that though. tongue Still a little wary of wasps, but I suppose that's to be expected and will fade over time. Bees I'm absolutely fine with!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:49 pm

Scary.... you just get a swollen oesophagus.  Ok if you don't like air.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Leaf-cutter bees - they wreak havoc in my garden every year by cutting holes in my rose leaves. Don't know where they nest though, or whether they sting.

I got stung by a bee once when I was a child and foolishly tried to catch it in a jam jar. It left its sting behind (so it would have died). I'm not scared of bees, though I did get a bit apprehensive when a swarm investigated a hole in my neighbour's wall - fortunately the hole couldn't have been their idea of home sweet home as they all flew off after a couple of days. Usually, I have found bees to be non-aggressive towards me.

Unlike wasps, they hate me for some reason and I have been stung many times - sometimes without any provocation whatsoever "that's a nice leg - I'll sting it". I always carry a tube of anti-histamine cream with me, because although I have come across people who say it doesn't hurt much, it hurts me A LOT. Maybe I'm just a wuss.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:08 pm

Do you have to carry an epi-pen, Tracy? Think I might have asked this before, but I'm not sure. happy

We've been lucky - this bee hasn't touched the roses! I was watching it sawing away at a leaf earlier! Incredible happy Sorry about your roses though sad

I've never actually seen a swarm close up! Would love to (from a safe place tongue)

hug Poor you. I think pain is relative, so each person feels a different amount. Maybe some people are more/less sensitive to it? happy

I'm strange with pain. I've had my fingers trapped underneath a giant tortoise's shell and felt/heard them crack, and didn't shed a tear! If Dempsey accidentally catches my hand with his teeth when he's playing though, the lip starts to wobble and the eyes start watering! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynne Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:25 pm

When I was about 5 I disturb a wasp nest and was stung so many times I was taken to hospital can't remember it though.

Was stung by a bee on the tube and had to pretend it hadn't got me cause everyone was looking but it hurt like hell xx
Lynne
Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:25 pm

tracyp wrote:Scary.... you just get a swollen oesophagus.  Ok if you don't like air.

shocked  sad 

LyndaW wrote:Leaf-cutter bees - they wreak havoc in my garden every year by cutting holes in my rose leaves.  Don't know where they nest though, or whether they sting.

I think they normally nest in holes, so wood, bricks, even the ground probably!

LyndaW wrote:
Unlike wasps, they hate me for some reason and I have been stung many times - sometimes without any provocation whatsoever "that's a nice leg - I'll sting it". I always carry a tube of anti-histamine cream with me, because although I have come across people who say it doesn't hurt much, it hurts me A LOT. Maybe I'm just a wuss.

It DOES hurt! Luckily, whenever I've been stung the pain hasn't lasted too long, but it certainly does hurt!

Lynne wrote:When I was about 5 I disturb a wasp nest and was stung so many times I was taken to hospital can't remember it though.

Ouch, I can't imagine what that must have been like!

Lynne wrote:Was stung by a bee on the tube and had to pretend it hadn't got me cause everyone was looking but it hurt like hell xx

Yes, I suppose it'd look a bit weird screaming & crying on a tube - although if you'd done that you'd have probably cleared the carriage at the next station! laughing 

I've only ever seen one swarm of bees and that was by a river when we were taking Bandit for a walk. The swarm was covering the top of a fence post, and Bandit got too near it. All of a sudden it just detached itself from the post & few at poor Bandit! I quickly threw Bandit into the river (it wasn't very deep) and we legged it! Poor dog got stung several times & he was quite shocked by it. sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Yikes! I bet you're glad you don't remember that! shocked

Poor Bandit tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:50 am

Eleanor wrote:Do you have to carry an epi-pen, Tracy? Think I might have asked this before, but I'm not sure.
No, you havent asked. I dont carry one. If I get stung I have 30 mins till my throat swells. So I'm ok.

My sister was stung on her larynx as a child. (She was wearing a yellow daisy skivvy.) Though not allergic to bees, to this day she will run at the meer sight of them.

My sis inlaws dad keeps bees. I tremble everytime I go to his house.

Last edited by tracyp on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next