All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Demps had his 4th 'seizure' today and I've had my 1st injury!

+4
ella
Caryll
LyndaW
Eleanor
8 posters

Go down

Demps had his 4th 'seizure' today and I've had my 1st injury! Empty Demps had his 4th 'seizure' today and I've had my 1st injury!

Post by Eleanor Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Poor lad! It was just after his bath.

It was going so well, until shortly before the end of the bath. He started to stress, so mum finished off quickly and got him out of the bath. He shook himself a couple of times, then started to cough.

Once the coughing started, I think we both knew he was about to collapse and there wasn't time or space to open the bathroom door, so we spoke calmly to him and gave him as much space as possible. Bit difficult for me, as I was against the wall and Demps was in front of me.

So Demps collapsed right on my lap. Because all of his muscles contracted, his head and neck were thrown back against my shoulder, which is now very stiff and painful!  broken heart After that, I held him and we carried on speaking calmly to him until it finished and he flopped his head down on my arm.

Couple of minutes of laying there with his eyes shut, before he was ready for his food! tongue Snapped up some fish jerky (I think!) and went happily about his business!

Send him loads of hugs! He's had a very stressful day!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Demps had his 4th 'seizure' today and I've had my 1st injury! Empty Re: Demps had his 4th 'seizure' today and I've had my 1st injury!

Post by LyndaW Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Poor Dempsey  hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug hug hug   hug hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug 

It must have been horrible for all of you  hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug   hug 

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Demps had his 4th 'seizure' today and I've had my 1st injury! Empty Re: Demps had his 4th 'seizure' today and I've had my 1st injury!

Post by Caryll Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:13 pm

We're actually ok with it. Now we know it isn't neurological or his heart, we just wait calmly & he comes round.

Today was actually very quick recovery - we just make sure we have a snack waiting for him when he's ready. It only took a minute or so today.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:20 pm

I know from previous posts that you have experienced it before and know what to do, which must be a relief for Dempsey that you're not stressing out around him. But it still can't be a happy experience.

Kuchar now has his previous evening meal cut in half, with the other half fed to him in the morning, because of your experiences with Dempsey.

Is he "situation normal" now?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Awww dempster hope he's ok now  hug hug hug 
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks hug

Demps went completely back to normal within a couple of minutes, so he's doing fine! happy To be honest, it's not even concerning now. Not that we don't care, of course! It doesn't bother or hurt Demps though, so it's just one of those things. happy

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:05 pm

You're on top of the situation, and that's the most important thing.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:49 pm

He responds well & quickly to a bit of tlc & food! Now I know his heart's ok I'm not overly worried!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:46 pm

What causes it? I can't remember if you've said?

Glad everyone is ok.

Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:32 pm

S.O.S - Sudden Over exertion Syndrome. My vet's own name for it. He sees it quite a lot in the bull breeds. Their blood sugar levels can't keep up with a sudden, explosive release of adrenalin and so they black out.

We now make sure that Dempsey has a breakfast so that his sugar levels are reasonably level throughout the day. But yesterday's bath was only just before his normal evening feed time & I guess that the sugar levels were at a low and he stressed himself out!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Sounds like hypoglycemia.  Glad he is ok now.  hug
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Have you thought about trying him on a diabetic food? Should help to keep his blood glucose more even.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:35 pm

He isn't diabetic. That's the difference, you see. When he blacks out he doesn't need sugar, he'lround round on his own. It's just that his body can't work fast enough, if you see what I mean? We do give him something to eat when he comes round, but we don't have to.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Hope he's feeling ok now Caryll poor little big bugger
Dave
Dave

Names of Dogs : Tilly and Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:19 pm

He's fine now hug Thanks all, for the concern!

The vet assured us that it's just due to how deep chested he is. When he gets these little adrenaline rushes, he needs to draw in enough oxygen into his lungs to properly absorb into the surface. Because his lung capacity is larger than some other breeds, apparently he just can't draw in quite enough. Our vet has seen it mostly in bully breeds.

Glad we have him as a vet, as I wouldn't have had a clue!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:26 am

A diabetic food will just keep his sugar levels more balanced so they don't spike and drop.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 am

I'll have a look, although we have to be really careful with his food - he's intolerant of quite a few things! Poultry of any kind is a huge no! Beef he can eat in small quantities, pork no, fish so-so, and even then in small quantities & preferable white fish. He can basically only really tolerate lamb well.

Oh, and no wheat!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:04 am

My little bullie friend Spok is now on a diet of rice, boiled meat & vegies. They are very strict with it. No deviation at all. & certainly no treats of the human variety.

He is doing really well now.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:51 am

That's good!

We'll probably plod on as we are for now. There have been 4 episodes in a year, and two of them could (and should) have been avoided! This last one was my fault - I should have thought about the stress & given him something to eat before his bath.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:56 am

hug hug hug 
Poor Dempsey. It's trial and error learning the best way to cope with health issues I think. Dempsey will be reassured by you both being relaxed and calm about it  hug 
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 am

It's just so hard for him. Sleeping, eating, getting a fuss... How does he cope? laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:11 am

laughing 
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 am

Eleanor wrote:It's just so hard for him. Sleeping, eating, getting a fuss... How does he cope? laughing

I've really no idea! wink 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 am

tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down