All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cesar Millan

+2
LyndaW
Caryll
6 posters

Go down

Cesar Millan Empty Cesar Millan

Post by Caryll Mon May 19, 2014 7:30 pm

I know CM has probably been done to death on most forums, but I just liked this article...

http://webspace.qmul.ac.uk/brianh/downloads/charley/cm/Pack%20of%20Lies%20-%20New%20York%20Times.pdf

The following quote has reinforced my dislike of him...

Women are the worst offenders in his world....Mr Millan explains that a woman is "the only species that is wired different from the rest." and "a woman always applies affection before discipline. Man applies discipline then affection, so we're more psychological than emotional" All animals follow dominant leaders; they don't follow lovable leaders."

Talk about sexist!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Cesar Millan Empty Re: Cesar Millan

Post by LyndaW Mon May 19, 2014 7:59 pm

I must admit that I have seen very few of CM's programmes, but have heard a lot about him!

I remember being quite impressed that him saying "ssss" to his own dog (a pitbull) resulted in the dog immediately stopping whatever it was he was doing. I realise now that the poor dog probably related the sound to a jab, kick or similar punitive assault.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Mon May 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Ha he is a nut. I don't give affection before discipline, i don't coax my dogs to do something.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 19, 2014 8:07 pm

I don't see a problem in giving affection - many dogs respond very well to it & want to do what you ask of them because of it!

That doesn't mean that I don't apply discipline, or that I follow leaders just because they're lovable. Despite what Mr Millan thinks, most women do have brains. rolling eyes
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 19, 2014 8:17 pm

F*** you, Millan - how's that for affection?  kiss 
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 19, 2014 8:21 pm

You're so right Caryll.

Maybe if I jabbed, prodded, kicked and thrashed Kuchar (off-screen off course) every time he does something I don't want him to do he would be a better behaved dog. But I somehow doubt that he would be a happier dog, or a more loving companion.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 19, 2014 8:22 pm

LyndaW wrote:You're so right Caryll.  

Maybe if I jabbed, prodded, kicked and thrashed Kuchar (off-screen off course) every time he does something I don't want him to do he would be a better behaved dog.  But I somehow doubt that he would be a happier dog, or a more loving companion.

thumbs up 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed May 21, 2014 9:43 am

I can see the reasoning in his statement. I work with a lot of people and a lot of dogs and women are more prone to letting dogs get away with murder.
I think a few of us understand (or are willing to understand) dog behaviour and treat our dogs in a certain way to get the desired results.

How I've figured it out through the years is you get the general population of people that have dogs and then you get the few dog owners like us on forums and at training schools.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 21, 2014 9:48 am

The way you described it - I don't see anything wrong with that. However, the way Millan described it - he's bunched all women together, despite the fact that he's a public figure and knows that whatever he says will affect a lot of people, and has left no exceptions.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed May 21, 2014 10:14 am

He's so full of himself. I don't even bother reading his articles. Yes he's made the world more aware about training your dog and dog behaviour but it's sparked of a whole plethora of other people styling themself as experts.
Lately we spend more time fixing issues created by training than we do training new dogs at school.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed May 21, 2014 11:28 am

Shisa wrote:
Lately we spend more time fixing issues created by training than we do training new dogs at school.

Yes, that has been a problem for a while now.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Something that he doesn't tell people about: Most of the dogs he 'fixes', within six months, have to go to a canine behaviourist to fix the countless problems he's inflicted on the poor things.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed May 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Most behaviourists are also useless. Anyone can do a 2 week course and attach 'Behaviourist' to their name lately.
I had a few very snarky comments with a lady at our school 2/3 weeks ago. She did a behaviour course and thinks she knows it all now. She has a new female Rottweiler puppy and she had her on her back in her arms, teasing it and then sticking her face into the dogs face. I told her stop, you're going to get bitten. She says to me "I'm the pack leader, if she bites me I will hit her so hard". Well I had to bite off half my tongue to not give her a talking to and only said: you're not a pack leader, you're a fucking bully.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Tbh, I use the word 'behaviourist' to refer to those who actually understand and actively study the behaviour of a certain animal. As far as I'm concerned, a short, intensive course on behaviour does not a behaviourist make.

That woman. Well, sounds to me that she's just been watching too many Dog Whisperer programmes and applying her own twisted logic.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed May 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Yup but try convincing them of that.

Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Like talking to a brick wall!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed May 21, 2014 4:14 pm

We had a lady bring her 18 month old fawn Great Dane for show training. She'd done a behaviour course and did not believe in collars of any kind. She had her dog in this elasticated type of bungy harness and it was ignoring her and pulling her all over BUT .... it was so funny!!!! He was so strong whenever he got to the end of the stretching capacity she'd go boinging after him. It was hilarious to see.  rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor 
She'd be standing pulling and woosh.. she'd go after him.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 21, 2014 4:17 pm

What kind of behaviour course teaches against mandatory legal restraints? laughing Would love to know who the lecturer was!

Serves her right! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed May 21, 2014 4:23 pm

I think she got it into her own head as she had the dog in some kind of homemade contraption.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Oh dear... Can just imagine!

laughing How's that working out for you, love? tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed May 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Shisa wrote: He was so strong whenever he got to the end of the stretching capacity she'd go boinging after him. It was hilarious to see.  rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor 

I can just picture it! rolling on floor rolling on floor 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Thu May 22, 2014 10:26 am

Shisa wrote:Most behaviourists are also useless. Anyone can do a 2 week course and attach 'Behaviourist' to their name lately.
I had a few very snarky comments with a lady at our school 2/3 weeks ago. She did a behaviour course and thinks she knows it all now. She has a new female Rottweiler puppy and she had her on her back in her arms, teasing it and then sticking her face into the dogs face. I told her stop, you're going to get bitten. She says to me "I'm the pack leader, if she bites me I will hit her so hard". Well I had to bite off half my tongue to not give her a talking to and only said: you're not a pack leader, you're a fucking bully.
I know people like this and nothing you say makes a difference because they are right, end of discussion. That attitude tends to apply to everything in life.

Caryll wrote:
Shisa wrote: He was so strong whenever he got to the end of the stretching capacity she'd go boinging after him. It was hilarious to see.  rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor 

I can just picture it! rolling on floor rolling on floor 
 rolling on floor
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down