All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stupid things people have said thread

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stupid things people have said thread Empty Stupid things people have said thread

Post by Wendy Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Not long after I got Buster, one of the staff at work was going to the shops to buy some bread. I asked her to buy me a dog treat of some sort while she was there, she seemed quite anxious about it. When she returned she showed me the treat and asked if it was the right one and I glanced at it and said 'Yeah, yeah'.

She exhaled in a 'phew' and said she was so glad it was the right one and that it had been on special offer 'buy one get one free' but she had only taken one and left the free one behind because she didn't know if it was the correct one or not!
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Stupid things people have said thread Empty Re: Stupid things people have said thread

Post by Caryll Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:08 pm

laughing laughing 

How about the age old mum to child.....

"If you go and break your leg, don't come running to me!"
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Stupid things people have said thread Empty Re: Stupid things people have said thread

Post by LyndaW Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:21 pm

"What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over"

SO wrong on so many counts
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:38 pm

LyndaW wrote:"What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over"

SO wrong on so many counts

...how many times have I heard that one?!

An old one...Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:45 pm

My own most recent stupid thing to say..

Me, Alison (soon to join here) and Ann all lying in bed in our family room at Crufts. I was reading a card by the bed that said 'enjoyed your stay? You can buy this bed, go to such and such website to order.'

We discussed that for a little while then I said ... 'but would you really want to buy a bed that thousands of people have slept in?' covering eyes It must have been tiredness.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:56 pm

rolling on floor 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Ooo I would have bought my recent hospital bed if it was cheap enough. Press a few buttons and you configure the perfect position for a comfortable night's repose for aching bones.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Sounds good to me!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Back to stupid things - my late step-father bless him was heard to say (and believed) that women only had jobs in order to meet a future husband. Given that my mother was a headmistress of a school before she even met him (away from school!) and continued in her career for a good 20 years afterwards, no wonder she used to say "I don't what he thinks I'm doing!".

Men say some funny things don't they  happy 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzy-t Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:58 pm

My Grandma's companion died a few years ago but a few years before that, he had a stroke. My ex-boyfriend apologised to my dad and said "I'm sorry, I know a stroke is bad...but I'm not exactly sure what it is."
My dad, who had had a few wines and probably wasn't sure either, replied; "that's OK. I'll explain: it's like a heart attack but not as bad. That's why it's called a stroke; it's a stroke of luck that you didn't have a heart-attack."

My aunty who is a nurse later said she wasn't sure her stroke patients would agree with that definition!!!
shazzy-t
shazzy-t

Names of Dogs : Gemma (12) and Caesar (5)

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:37 am

shazzy-t wrote:"that's OK.  I'll explain: it's like a heart attack but not as bad.  That's why it's called a stroke; it's a stroke of luck that you didn't have a heart-attack."

My aunty who is a nurse later said she wasn't sure her stroke patients would agree with that definition!!!

laughing 

Something my Nan used to say was "He/she's never been the same since leatherarse died" and "You're not the same since you had your neddy"

No, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what either of them actually mean! dunno 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Well, they're lovely sayings even if we don't know what they mean!

Off hand I can't think of any stupid things people have said except the old chestnut (of Staffies) "Their skulls split".  silly 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:18 pm

LyndaW wrote:
Off hand I can't think of any stupid things people have said except the old chestnut (of Staffies) "Their skulls split".  silly 

Yes you can just imagine loads of dogs running around with their heads falling in half! laughing 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 pm

I prefer not to think of it at all. That, and "Their jaws lock".

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Yes, another mental picture of padlocks on every Stafford's jaw! wink 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 pm

My Granny used to say that there is 'nothing as antiseptic as a dogs mouth' but that's what they used to think in those days apparently. She would always get her dogs to lick my scabby knees to heal them!
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Oh yes Wendy you have reminded me. This was particularly said about puppies mouths in respect to children, but any dog licking an open wound was said to heal it.  shocked 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 pm

Back when a lot of people still had black & white tvs....

Football match on tv & the commentator says

"For those watching in black & white, Liverpool are in the red shirts". rolling eyes 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:11 pm

I remember the same sort of thing regarding a snooker game!
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:25 pm

laughing 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Ah, those were the days - we only had shades of grey (No, NOT those fifty! thank heavens)
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:06 am

I told my mum years ago we should start writing down all the stupid things people say over our shop counter and things that they'll argue about even when blatantly wrong.

The stupidest thing I heard recently: Some old man told me to put Pugsley down and save my money.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Shisa wrote: Some old man told me to put Pugsley down and save my money.

I hope you told him exactly what he could do with his 'advice'! shocked 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 pm

What a horrible old man  shocked 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Oh I told him...
He came back 3 times to give me donations to help pay the second operation.
I'm slow to anger (I get irritated easily though) but when I do it's very ugly.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next